Hello, Bunhwangsa Temple, which was built in the 3rd year of Queen Seondeok’s reign (634), is believed to have had many relics, but it was mostly destroyed during the Mongol invasion and Japanese Invasion of Korea.
In the precincts, an octagonal old millennium well called Samryong Byeongeojeong Pavilion, designated as National Treasure No. 30, two flagpole supports made of granite, the upper part converted to Japanese style, and a 3.45-meter-high bronze statue of Silla. On the pedestal of the stone monument, the word “Silla Hwajengguksajibjeok” engraved by Kim Jeong-hee, a literary man of the late Joseon Dynasty is engraved.
Bunhwangsa Temple’s three-story stone pagoda (Mojeon Stone Pagoda) is one of the oldest stone pagodas in Korea built by processing andesite into a brick shape, and is believed to have been built at the same time when Bunhwangsa Temple was founded.
When the three-story stone pagoda was repaired by a Japanese scholar in 1915, various jade, scissors, and silver needles were found in a stone sarira box excavated between the two-story pagoda body and the three-story pagoda body. The excavated relics are preserved at the Gyeongju National Museum.
On the four corners of the wide stone pagoda stylobate, and on the four sides of the first floor pagoda body, the “Inwangsang” carved in a soft yet powerful shape that protects against Buddhism on both sides of the granite door offers a glimpse of the outstanding stone art of the Silla period.
|Address||313, Guhwang-dong, Gyeongju-si, Gyeongsangbuk-do
경상북도 경주시 구황동 313
|business hours||Winter 09:00-17:00 Summer 09:00-18:00|
|More information||Age of Creation: National Treasure No. 30 of the 27th Queen Seondeok of Silla (634).|